Spicy Roast Potatoes
Serving: 4 Preparation: 10 minutes Cook: 45 – 50 minutes
1 kg roasting potatoes (Maris Piper), halved, or quartered if large
½ 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
4 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Boil the potatoes for 5 minutes. Drain well, place back in the pan, cover with a lid and shake vigorously to lightly roughen up the edges.
- Grind the spices using a pestle and mortar until crushed, then mix with the oil. Put the spice mix in a roasting tin and place in the oven to heat up. Carefully put the potatoes into the roasting tin, tossing them in the hot oil and spice mixture. Roast in the oven for 40 – 45 minutes or until crisp and golden, turning once or twice during cooking.
Carrot, Lentil & Orange Soup
Serving: 4 Preparation: 15 minutes Cook: 35 minutes
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 onion, chopped
225 g carrots, diced
75 g red lentils
300 ml orange juice
2 tablespoon low-fat natural yogurt
600 ml vegetable stock
Fresh chopped coriander to garnish
Pinch paprika to garnish
- Crush the seeds in a pestle and mortar, then dry-fry for 2 minutes in a large pan until lightly browned. Add the onion, carrots, lentils, orange juice, stock and seasoning, then bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Transfer to a food processor in batches and process until smooth. Return to the pan, then gently reheat, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste. Ladle into individual serving bowls, swirl the yogurt over and sprinkle with the chopped coriander leaves and paprika. Serve immediately.
Mexican Lime Chicken
Serving: 2 Cook: 30 – 35 minutes
2 chicken breast
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon crushed coriander seeds
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon muscovado sugar
6 unpeeled garlic cloves
2 fresh chillies
- Mix 2 tablespoon olive oil with 1 teaspoon each crushed coriander seeds and grated lime zest and ½ teaspoon each paprika and light muscovado sugar.
- Put 2 chicken breast in a baking dish, spoon the marinade over, then squeeze over a little lime juice. Cover and marinade for 30 minutes.
- Slip 1-2 lime slices under the skin of each breast and season. Tuck 6 unpeeled garlic cloves and 2 fresh red chillies around the chicken.
- Roast the chicken breast in a baking dish, uncovered, for 30 – 35 minutes in a pre-heated oven (190C/gas 5/fan oven 170C). To check if they are done, prod the chicken with your finger – if it’s still a bit soft, give it a bit longer.
– Serve with salad or salsa.