Tomato Basil Soup
Serving: 8 Preparation: 25 minutes Cook: 30 minutes
6 tablespoon butter
1 onion, thinly sliced
15 baby carrots, thinly sliced
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic
1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 ¼ cups chicken broth
2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-low heat, cook and stir onion, carrots, celery and garlic until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in both amounts of tomato sauce, chicken broth, basil and oregano. Increase heat to medium and simmer until soup reduces, 10 – 20 minutes.
- Pour soup into blender not more than half full. Cover and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving to blend. Add cream. Continue to puree in batches until smooth, transferring creamy soup to another pot.
- Heat soup over medium-high heat until hot, about 5 minutes more.
Source: Sara at allrecipes.com/recipe/230275
Angel Hair Pasta with Shrimp and Basil
Serving: 4 Preparation: 10 minutes Cook: 25 minutes
¼ cup olive oil, divided
1 (8 ounce) package angel hair pasta
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 (28 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
½ cup dry white wine
¼ cup chopped parsley
3 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
3 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon oil. Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente. Place pasta in a colander and give it a quick rinse with cold water.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic, stirring constantly, until the garlic is tender, about 1 minute Do not let the garlic burn. Add shrimp and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet and a side.
- Stir tomatoes, wine, parsley and basil into the skillet. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduces by half, 8 to 10 minutes. Add shrimp and continue cooking until the shrimp are heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve the shrimp mixture over the pasta. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Source: PAL at allrecipes.com/cook/18268
Thai Basil Chicken
Serving: 2 Preparation: 15 minutes Cook: 9 minutes
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 large skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
¼ cup oyster sauce
3 tablespoon soy sauce
1 pinch white sugar
2 small chilli peppers, sliced (optional)
1/3 cup water
½ cup fresh basil leaves
Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken, cook and stir until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in oyster sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Stir in chilli pepper. Pour in water. Cook until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in basil before serving.
Source: Nancy Anderson-Gibson at allrecipes.com/cook/mysamba