Beef and Vegetable Casserole
Serving: 5 Preparation: 15 minutes Cook: 3 hours 50 minutes
2 celery stick, thickly sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 big carrot, halved lengthwise then chunk sliced
5 bay leaves
3 sprigs thyme
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon plain flour
2 tablespoon tomato puree
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 beef stock cube, crumbled
850 g stewing beef (feather blade or brisket), cut into nice large chunks
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Put the kettle on. Put the celery, onion, carrots, bay leaves and 1 thyme sprig in a casserole with 1 tablespoon oil and the butter. Soften for 10 minutes. Stir in the flour until it doesn’t look dusty anymore. Follow by the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock cubes.
- Gradually stir in 600 ml hot water, then tip in the beef and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and put in the oven for 2 hours 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for 30 minutes – 1 hour more until the meat is really tender and the sauce is thickened.
Source: Sarah Cook at bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1940689
Basic Vegetable Stock
Serving: 12 Preparation: 15 minutes Cook: 35 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion
2 stalks celery, including some leaves
2 large carrots
1 bunch green onions, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
8 sprigs fresh parsley
6 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
2 quarts water
- Chop scrubbed vegetables into 1 inch chunks.
- Heat oil in a soup pot. Add Onion, celery, scallions, garlic, parsley, thyme and bay leaves. Cook over high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add salt and water and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, Strain. Discard vegetables.
Other ingredients to consider: mushrooms, eggplant, asparagus (butt ends), corn cobs, fennel (stalk and trimmings), bell peppers, pea pods, chard (stem and leaves), celery root parings, marjoram (stems and leaves), basil, potato parings…
Source: Stan Webber at allrecipes.com/recipe/12982
Roasted Cauliflower with Garlic, Bay and Lemon
Serving: 8 Preparation: 10 minutes Cook: 20 minutes
2 heads cauliflower, cut into even bite-size pieces
1 garlic bulb, split into cloves, unpeeled
6 bay leaves, stalks removed, finely chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Place the cauliflower, garlic and bay leaves in a large bowl, toss with the oil, zest and juice and season generously. Spread evenly onto the baking sheet (use 2 if you need to). Roast for 20 minutes, turning halfway, until al dente and caramelised.
Tips: If you don’t fancy garlic, roast the cauliflower with a little chopped red chilli or a sprinkle of smoked paprika or cumin seeds. Another idea is to serve it topped with shaved Parmesan.
Source: Maria Elia at bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/864645